Friday, July 24, 2009

Welcome everyone!

This is the first in the blog world from The One Eyed Turtle. First you may ask, just what is a "one eyed turtle?"
Many years ago there was a One Eyed Turtle who swam close to the bottom of the sea. One day he decided to seek a sandalwood log in which to place himself perfectly to have the sun warm his back and cool his tummy. He went to the "wise one" to seek advice on how to find such a log. After searching without any luck, he went back to the "wise one" and wanted to know why he failed. The "wise one" said: "happiness must come from within, you have been seeking something which you carried with you all this time."

This story has Buddhist origins and you can be reminded of this great wisdom every time you enjoy the products from these innovative and creative artisans from around the world.

Hopefully, I can continue and explain my feelings on fair and alternative trade.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your wonderful thoughts! It's nice to read about how someone else has been touched by fair trade. I have worked with producer groups in Nepal for 25 years and I watch as they perform miracles every day under the extreme conditions that have been wrought by political instability and a civil war. They do it with such skill and pride and joy and I am constantly humbled. I also have been amazed at how those who have been treated fairly are now turning around and working with those less fortunate than themselves. It's a great road to travel together and I think it leads to great changes for producers, particularly women. Thanks for letting me share my thoughts. Denise Attwood, Ganesh Himal Trading

    ReplyDelete